So Cambridge has a history of literary greats from Wordsworth and Coleridge to the man who wrote Winnie the Pooh. One famous poet that went to King's was named Rupert Brooke. I didn't know that much about him before I came, but I had the pleasure of reading a book based on his life. One thing Rupert Brooke did a lot while he was at King's was travel to the nearby town Grantchester and take tea at a place called the Orchard. My friend and I decided to be like Brooke and venture to Grantchester to have tea at the Orchard. It was a little farther than we anticipated and we didn't really know if we were going the right way because we definitely went through a field of cows. It was also pouring down rain. Despite this, it was a grand adventure and we did end up finding the place and had cream tea there. The picture of the rainbow was taken on our way back, when it stopped raining. The English country side is very beautiful.
The picture of the fireplace is a picture of my room and the picture that overlooks a pond and tables with blue umbrellas is the view outside my window.
This past week has been very fun, as I have been able to explore Cambridge a lot. So confession I definitely did something very touristy on Monday. I rode on the top of a sight-seeing double decker bus around Cambridge. The tour was very informative and showed me the boundaries of the city center. Every Monday and Wednesday night I go swing dancing. It's been a great way to meet the locals and I have I found a community of friends there. I love it. This past Tuesday was my friend's birthday and we went to the Eagle to celebrate. My uncle Mike told me about this place before I came. There is a room where RAF pilots burned their names into the ceiling before leaving for war. As you can read on the picture of the plaque, the announcement of the discovery of DNA was made here. Also the courtyard of the Eagle is the very first place where Hamlet was performed. So cool! Thursday night I went to the Cambridge folk festival. I went by myself and had a blast. Some things I think are better experienced by yourself, not everything and not all the time, but I think when you are by yourself you are able to take everything in. Folk music is definitely my favorite genre of music and being in the UK it had some celtic undertones which made the music even cooler! I loved it, there were so many free spirits there. I've been taking lots of trips on the weekend too. I went to London again, and Oxford and I am going to the Peak District this weekend. I will have to post again to tell you more of my adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment