Friday, July 17, 2009

Let's talk about Cambridge!

So I have now been here almost three weeks, and I am absolutely loving it. My room is huge! I have my own fireplace. It is also ideally located near all my classes. I am staying at King's college in rooms the university students stay in. The food is also better than I imagined and is consumed in possible the coolest dining hall in the world. Apparently, for those of you who are Harry Potter fans it looks like hogwarts. We have formal dinners in the dining hall where everyone dresses up, faculty attends, candles are lit, and wine is served- it's a pretty big ordeal. Cambridge is made up of many different colleges and each college is known for different things and has a different feel. King's college is very stately and regal. The buildings are impressive and imposing. The lawns are well groomed. The college is really famous for its chapel. I listened to two evening songs in the chapel and it was amazing. The King's college choir is world famous and is made up of little boys and university men. The ceiling is very intricately designed and most would agree that this chapel is an architectural marvel. There are roses and portcullises everywhere which are signs of the Tudor family. Hearing such beautiful music in such gorgeous surroundings is really a one of a kind experience.

Classes are challenging, but good. My favorite course is creative writing. My teacher is an award winning novelist! She is awesome. One of the best teachers I've ever had. It's also cool because she is friends with many other British writers, so we have had many guest speakers. We have had talks from a playwright, a novelist, a publisher, and a children's book author. I'm sad that this class will be ending in about a week. I am also taking a Shakespeare class which is really interesting. The teacher is super super smart. He probably knows Shakespeare better than Shakespeare knew himself. We read about three shakespeare plays a week! The coolest part of this class though is that we read a Mid-Summer Night's Dream and then we got to see it performed at the Globe theater in London. It was incredible. The teacher for my magic in medieval literature class is pretty eccentric as she loves to talk about magic and read to us in Middle English. I think I am going to be an expert on magic by the end of this class.

Speaking of class, I need to scurry off to it, but hopefully I will be able to tell you all more about Cambridge soon! By the way I have found a new love in the form of cream tea. This is a pot of tea served with scones, jam, and cream. About every other street corner has a tea shop. This is why I love England.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely experience. I enjoy your updates, Shelly!

    ReplyDelete